She lay her head on her knees and kept breathing in. Fucking Jared, daring to call her now of all times. What part of stupid was he to think she'd listen? Ten years of constant belittling had been enough. She'd finally found her backbone and walked, taking nothing with her. She'd lost everything except Geena.
Although she'd left that state, they'd kept up with each other online, and their laughs and compatriot love of Jovi had helped her re-find herself after the fiasco of her marriage and divorce.
The calls always unsettled her when they came. They were rare, but they did happen. She'd moved states away, changed numbers time and time again and yet he always found her, wanting back that Stepford wife he'd tried so hard to attain. Not now, god not now. Don't call again. I'm having fun for once. She considered turning off her cell phone completely, but that just meant she'd end up with voice mails, and HIS voice was something she didn't want recorded, didn't want to hear ever again.
Richie took his time walking in the direction she went. He didn't want to give her any reason to think Geena said anything. He;d given his word and meant it, but when he found her his heart ached at the sight he saw sitting in a shaky slump.
"Bri Darlin'?" He kept his voice soft, pretty sure that anything loud would startle her.
She held back the shudder at the masculine voice, and for a second considered bolting. Had he found her here in Paradise? Was that phone call a forewarning that he was in the building? When the body knelt close to her she wanted to damn near scream. She didn't want to see, she didn't want to even know. Keeping her face buried on her knees she shivered.
"Bri darlin ? "he called out again as he squatted down, taking her hands in his.
"What is it baby? "
Her world came right again as the voice finally registered. It wasn't Jared, it was her dream come true. Turning her head she managed to swallow and speak. "Just ... needed some air."
"It's more than that honey, please talk to me," Richie encouraged as he squeezed her hands
She sighed, she didn’t want to talk about it, didn't want it coloring what she was experiencing here, but the look on his face was one of stubborn intent. As he stood and pulled her up she shook her head. "Just a voice from the past, an unwelcome one, calling to remind me just how bad some people can be."
Richie pulled her into an embrace, his hand automatically lifting to stroke her hair and hopefully gentle the shivers away. "You can tell me anything Darlin', but only when you're ready. I promise I won't hold anything against you. If its someone bothering you I can take care of that too. Remember I know people." Richie said trying to lighten the mood a little bit by letting his voice go deep Jersey.
She snorted, then started to laugh. "Oh that’s right them Joisey roots eh?" She mimicked his Jersey accent with a grin. She marvelled at how quickly he could make the world go right again.
"Can we go somewhere quiet? I mean considering what you said this morning... you deserve to know why I think it might not be so wise to let it go further than the here and now, And fuck you very much Jared for ruining my dream!
"Sure baby, soundcheck is done. Now we just have to wait til show time." Richie smiled as he released her from the hug only to grasp her hand securely. She had bolt now shining bright in those beautiful eyes of hers, and he didn't plan on letting that happen if he could help it.
Her hand tightened in his as he guided her from the building and to the waiting car. When she slipped onto the seat, she smiled as he settled himself only to pull her on his lap. Leaning against him she let his warmth and scent fill her, pushing away the webbing of fear that had started to build.
The ride to the hotel was silent, she wasn't sure what to say, and she thanked her stars that he seemed patient. The pure simple pleasure of just sharing space with him was all she needed to center herself a bit and work up the courage to talk.
They arrived at the hotel , then headed straight up to his room. He opened the door and let her slide past before placing a do not disturb sign on the door. Reaching for her hand, he walked with her to the couch, settling himself comfortably then tugging her back onto his lap. He liked her there, hell she seemed to like it there just as much.
"Ok baby whenever you're ready," Richie encouraged.
She settled herself against him, and felt a grin escape as he wrapped his arms securetly around her. Taking a deep cleansing breath she looked up into the gentlest caring gaze she'd ever known.
"Not much to tell you really. I was pretty dumb at twenty, and oh so hearts, flowers and stupid in love with my high school boyfriend. His name was Jared and he was the captain of our highschool football team. Of course because of that he thought, wrongly it seems, that he was God's gift to the world. He wanted to get married right out of high school and like the happy dipshit I was, I agreed. I thought I was lucky, marrying the most popular guy in school."
She paused a moment to collect her thoughts and continued. Now that the dam had opened she couldn’t stop the words. "Within weeks of the wedding things changed. He wasn't happy with how I cooked, demanded I learn the perfect way. Jeans? Forget about it. He had garnered a job in his dad's company, and he needed a showcase wife. I guess cuz my parents were well known in the area he had figured I'd be perfect for the job so set about courting me. As the months wore on, and I couldn't measure up to some weird ruler he'd devised for marriage, he started finding ways to tear me down. Claimed it was to build me back up."
She glanced up at his eyes, scared to see pity, but found only concern. It made the telling of things easier. "Suddenly one day, after a dinner party didn't go like he wanted, I ended up locked in the coat closet. He didn't let me out for three days."
"After that? Anytime he wanted to make a point, well that’s where I ended up. After a few of years, I finally had enough. Geena, god love her, my best friend forever, had stood by me. Cussing at me to get smart and get away. Geena helped me pack a few clothes, loaned me a little cash and I split. I moved south, changed my last name, hid really, and served him with divorce papers. Papers he has still refused to sign. The divorce went through, I'm free and all, but he refuses to accept that. Every so often, he calls, telling me to come back home. Demands it really."
She lay her head on his chest and sighed, "Somehow he’s found my number again. It was him calling today."
It took all his might not to wanna punch something especially this Jared asshole . And if he ever saw him, that was the first on his to do list. He'd fuck that bastard up given just one chance.As her voice trailed off, her story finished he held her tightly and whispered, "I won't let that asshole near you I promise you that." His lips brushed lightly against her cheek. "No one will hurt you again."
She heard herself laugh and was amazed. "Honey, it's not like you'll be around me everyday. I appreciate the thought though." She tilted her head slightly and was rewarded with his lips meeting hers in a gentle unassuming kiss. Pulling away she rubbed noses with him for a moment. "you just had to go and be so damned nice."
He smiled " Well you could join me on tour. I could protect you " He raised his arm and flexed his muscle
She chuckled as she watched him flex like Superman. "You keep bringing up that go with you thing. Damned if it don’t sound enticing too.. I just...." She paused as her phone started to buzz and felt herself stiffen right there on his lap. Her eyes closed as the quiet fun of the moment was doused in chilliness.
Bri let Richie take care of Jared permenantly. Wonder how Jon is going to react if Bri takes Richie up on his offer to join him on the road.
ReplyDelete