Friday, July 16, 2010

Chapter 117



Geena clung to Rich for a moment to regain control. I’ll be damned if he sees me crying. She pulled away, her spine ramrod straight, shoulders stiff with tension. "Yea I heard, Hell who couldn't hear ? Clear down to the end of the hall I heard. It was kinda hard not too, what with lack of volumn control." She spat the words Jon’s way, as she watched him trying to catch his breath.

He rubbed his belly as he straightened. "That fuckin' hurt Rich." As he pulled upwards he heard the voice, and it was angry, but when he looked into her face he felt his soul start to shrivel. She looked beyond angry, god she looked furious, but her eyes? He felt the pain already tugging at him just based on the the agony shining in the blue of her eyes. They no longer looked like the summer sky. They looked like the coldest of frozen ice.

"Thought you'd sleep the day away baby. Feeling better?" He winced internally at the normalness of the questions and knew just by her raised brow and the sneer that he wasn't gonna be able to play off what she'd obviously heard.

She shook her head. " It would have been awfully convenient for you if I had wouldn't it? Poor clueless Geena would have had no idea how her husband truly felt about her. God I knew you could lie but about this?" She spat every syllable out, stunned that she wasn’t also belching flame and smoke.

"Don't baby me. God! I was such a fool. Everyone told me about you. They warned me repeatedly, hell I tried to warn myself but I did I listen? No good old gullible Geena. She went and did it again." Her head tilted as the muffled sound of crying reached her ears and felt her heart tearing into pieces.

He took a step towards her, not even noticing when Richie slipped into the bedroom. The only thing sinking in were the soft sobs off to his left and the angry tears in front of him. He'd never seen such loathing in a person's eyes, and that it was her had his mind scrambling at how to take that loathing away. "What do you mean? I haven't lied to you. NOT ONCE!"

'Don't, just don't okay! I heard how you really feel. HELL the whole floor heard you! " Geena backed up towards the door. "Maybe we should just end this now. You get back to your life and I'll go back to mine.

He stepped closer, her words dashing ice water over his anger. "You aren't going anywhere. You hear me? NO WHERE. You're my wife, you're carrying my kid. YOU won't be going anywhere."

She snorted and took another step back. "There you go again, ordering me around like I was one of your road crew. I can and will leave if I choose too." Her brow lifted at the anger that flared in his gaze. "Oh don't worry Jonny boy, you can see your child, when and if you take the time from your *busy schedule,* I wouldn't hurt MY child like that. Hell I wouldn't even hurt you like that no matter how big an ass you are. I won't stop you from being a part of his or her life. Kinda figuring you won't have much time is all, have you ever? I just don’t know what to do about this farce called you and me, or this supposed marriage. "

She started to pace as the words that had built up for weeks were finally released in an explosion of self hurt and pain. "You showed me more attention when I was just a fan you were cozying up to than as your wife. I was too damned blind in love with you to see or care. But to actually hear the words out of your mouth? Well that douses that flame baby."

His hands eased around her wrists as he sighed. "No baby, you don't get it. I fought for a long time, a LONG damn time to be seen as something other than another hair band. We worked our asses off to be relevant." He winced as the emotions rose. "And even now, when someone calls me that one thing I just sort of lose it. My anger gets the best of me and I say shit I just don't mean."

He took a deep breath and continued, her words chilling him as the idea of her leaving suddenly raged beneath his skin like fire ants. "I never lied to you. I told you I was thrown off center about things, but I DO love you and even last night when you were throwing up all over our sheets?"He couldn't stop the half-hearted smile, or the grumbled words. "I admit, it upset me, tensed me up. You teased me like crazy last night and I wanted you so much and hell now my balls hurt. I came here to go running with Rich...." He paused a moment his lip quirking upwards "and all I found was hormonal miss number two and she got all up in my business. Baby you KNOW how I am about business."

Geena snorted at his explaination, "And you couldn't be sympathetic? You haven't once even tried. I have seen you roll your eyes when you didn't think I could see, because I was running to the bathroom yet again. Yea I know all about how you are with with business, but that’s no excuse for hurting people like you do! When did you get the fucking notion that because you're Jon Bon FuckingJovi that you can just say what you want when you want to people and not even care if it hurts? "


At his quizzical look she continued," Yes you have hurt me more than I care to admit and to hear those things come out of your mouth was inexcusable." Geena fought to keep the tears from falling down her cheeks and knew she was going to fail miserably at that attempt.

He tugged her closer as his heart started to break, "But I didn't mean those things. Sabrina just, she starts throwing names, telling me I ain’t affectionate enough with you, calling me white toast and I just saw red baby."

Geena pulled away, she had too or she would give in. She walked over to the patio doorway, her eyes on the cloudy sky. "Thing is Jon you did say them. There is no excuse in the world big enough to cover the hurt you caused Bri and me, and for Richie to hit you?" Geena shook her head the tears starting to fall in earnest. God what I wouldn't give for you to be just a tiny bit like Richie.

He growled and followed her, his arms going back around her waist as his hand splayed out over her belly. "First thing, it’s not the first punch, won't be the last. Just the first time you got to see the after effects. We're men, we tend to throw fist first ask questions later. Second thing, I said the words yes, but I was Angry. YOU KNOW I have a temper baby, and the only safe place to lose it is around friends. I was wrong to say what I did. I admit that, only because I didn't mean them. I said it to hurt her, because she questioned my emotions for you. Then she stuck her nose into my business. Shit we do change it up. That silly spreadsheet of hers probably isn't even right."

He leaned in, his lips brushing against her ear gently, "I do love you and I AM looking forward to this baby. When have you ever really seen me lie?"

Geena froze. "Her spreadsheet isn't wrong. Jesus Jon, why is everyone always wrong huh? Did you forget? We've been doing the play by plays for twitter for so long now I lost count. The setlists, they ARE the same. Why can't you hear what someone is saying instead of blowing up? I know why even if you don't."


She glanced up at him, her head shaking. "It's because you know what we say is the truth and you can't handle it. You are too damn stubborn to admit that just maybe we are right. She questions how you feel because you show more love to the crowd than me."


She watched the confusion blooming in those sky blue eyes and sighed. "Shall I prove it or you gonna blow up at me if I try? I have been in the crowd I have seen it both live and on You Tube. Sometimes a woman likes to be noticed, needs to be romanced. It’s not always about sex either."


She saw the disbelief in his eyes and actually managed a laugh. "Frankly after puking my guts out I ain’t in the mood for that shit. I WOULD like to be held afterwards, but no you push me away like I'm some sort of disease you might catch if you get near me.” She almost smiled as she continued. “Hell it ain’t like I don't brush my teeth afterwards." Geena rambled on as her hormones talked for her. She was jealous of the crowd, hell she could almost relate to how Dot must have felt.

He winced at her words. He'd forgotten about their online thing, and those damned play by plays. Her next words had his brow furrowing. "What do you mean prove I show more love to them? Baby they don't have my name, OR my babe in their belly."

Geena pulled away again, made her way to the laptop and quickly typed in the url to You Tube. Within moments she had pulled up a dozen videos. "Dare you to watch them all. No they don't have your name, and because of the babe in my belly, which was a mistake am I correct? But each one of these woman and hundreds or thousands more get more of a public display of affection that your own damned family. I am sure these girls, your fans who really don't know you, would say who cares. Well I do damn it. I love you with all my heart John Francis. I entrusted my very heart to you and you broke it. " Geena stood up and started for the door.

His eyes watched the videos for a few moments and winced. Fuck they had both been telling the truth, he'd given more of himself to fans than the woman he... His eyes closed as it settled into his belly like fire. He loved her. She was walking away thanks to his shit, and he loved her. Woah, I do love her. When did it happen? When did she… His thoughts halted as she stepped closer to the door and out of his life. "Geena..."

Geena stopped her hand on the door knob ready to twist it open and walk out forever when his gruff voice broke into her thoughts. "Yes?"

She risked a glance back and the look on his face spoke of sorrow and an emotion she never thought she’d see there, Fear. She swallowed hard, unable to tear her eyes away, her breath catching as she awaited his next words.

He felt the tears just under his eye lids and forced himself to breathe. Forcing back the sudden bile rising he took a step forward, his hand lifting entreatingly. He'd been so stupid. Richie was right, you didn't abuse a treasure, not over age old chips on shoulders used to carryin them. "Give me one chance to prove you're wrong. Just one chance baby, all or nothing. Give me ONE chance to prove to you how I feel about you."

Geena stared at the door for the longest moment. She should just walk out and put all this behind her. She’d have his baby as a constant reminder, but maybe she could fool herself it was made from love.

The bedroom door opened and Richie peeked out, glancing at his best friend who for the first time in a long time had fear shining in his blue eyes. His gaze turned to Geena who's pain nearly broke his heart as much as Bri's did.

Geena glanced to the door as he opened and caught a glimpse of Richie nodding slightly, his eyes imploring her to truly listen to his friend. She closed her eyes then answered. "Okay, this is your last chance. You hurt Bri once before and I gave you a second chance. You are running on empty right now. I can NOT and will NOT give you another chance if you don’t make it right. It’s your last chance Jon. Got that?”

He walked to her, and felt like a dead man walking the long walk to the electric chair. "I never said I couldn't be thick headed, or stubborn. I've admitted those traits many times. I have always found it hard to let people in, sometimes even those I love. It’s not an excuse, won't make it one. But I'm gonna prove it to you." He took her hand, his eyes moving to the bedroom door to see brown eyes peeking out. "to both of you, all of you. Tonight."

He opened the hotel door and led her out, knowing if he screwed it up this time, he'd lose the best thing that had ever happened to him since his brothers and his children.

Richie watched them leave then sighed as he turned back to Bri . He walked back over to her then sat on the bed to pull her into his arms. "I know there is nothing I can say to make it better and for that I'm sorry."

She leaned against him, a sad smile coasting to her lips as she wound her fingers with his. "You didn't do anything to apologize for Rich."

"He's my friend I should have, I dunno, done something. I can't tell you when he changed to be honest, and it wasn't until you girls came into the picture that any of us saw it. Hell maybe we refused to see it. If we'd seen it we would have had to do something about it and none of us wanted to jump ship. We promised him way too many years ago not too.”

She lifted a shoulder in a shrug, "to be honest that you, Dave and Teek didn't become more immune to the people is amazing. He fell into that trap, protected against the world through his fame, his money, and his own stubbornness. But I can't let him do that to Geena, no matter how he screams at me. She’s worth the effort Rich. She really is."

She glanced up, tear drops welling and settling on her lashes as she continued. "Then there’s you. You have too much to offer to end up singing the same shit every show, even if you do get off in front of seventy thousand people doing it."

"I'm not. I meant what I said. If he continues down this path I'm through. But I have to say for the first time in a very long time I saw fear in his eyes as G was starting for the door, " Richie admitted. " I don’t blame you for feeling the way you do. Maybe the man he is right now doesn’t deserve Geena, " He pulled her closer into a hug, “but baby, the man I know, have known for close to thirty years, THAT Jonny deserves Geena.”

"I'll have to trust you on that one Rich. After what he said...." She stood, turning to face him, "If you felt that way, if he influences you..... I don't know what I’d do."

"The one thing I can say for sure he has no influence on me when it comes to my private life. I do know this, when the man says he is gonna do something he does it. I want my friend, my brother back. I want the man I had good times with, and I am hoping he shows up tonight, for your, mine and especially G's sake. I honestly believe that if he doesn’t make good on this promise she will be gone and then, I think, we'll be finished. "

She stepped forward, her hands going out to brace on his chest as she pushed him down, her knees hitting the bed as she crawled up to lean over him. "No. You have too many people out there that love you. You have obligations to a tour that people have paid to see all of you. They come to see you, Dave and Teek too you know. There are women, not that I love this part, but there are women paying to hear YOU growl baby. There are Richie fans out there. I won't let you quit, won't let you hurt all of those me's out there, over some words he said. Got that?"

Richie’s smirk came out to play. "Yes ma'am, but I didn't mean during the tour. After though is a different story. He can go into a corner and work himself to death if he lets that woman walk out of his life ."

She leaned in further, her lips brushing over his skin, "Well that might get a new solo cd out of you, but ya know what handsome?" Her lips slid over his skin to his ear, her teeth biting down gently, "You'd miss the man. He's the brother ya never had, he's that friend that for better or worse you can't live without. He's your Geena. God help me for that alone I can forgive him the words he spoke in anger."

He growled, "I guess you're right. I think he got his wake up call when she was just about out the door." His hands cupped her face as he kissed where she had been crying first before moving to her soft lips.

She returned the kiss, then lay her head on his chest as she started to chuckle. "Sorry about last night. I think if we steer clear of spices or seafood you might even have a better night tonight."

"It's okay Darlin’, apparently it had the same effect on Geena too, hence Jon's pissy mood." His hand lifted as he pretended to write on the air. "New note, NO seafood or spices for while." He watched her laugh and smiled. There was nothing quite as beautiful as her laugh.

She snuggled in her eyes closing. "I'll make sure to dress less exciting tonight," At his growl of dissapproval she smiled, "or maybe I will, depends on the nap."

2 comments:

  1. I have mixed feelings about these last couple of chapters. I know its only fiction and that Jon's temper is known, but I feel like Bri eggs it on in a way with her comments. I mean, I'd probably tell her off too if she got under my skin like that. Still, its an interesting story. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Ann. I feel the girls have way too much say where the band is concerned. When it comes to the band they should stay out, if it concerns one of their husbands then yes say something. Just because they are fans doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

    ReplyDelete