Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chapter 143

She hummed as she  watched the food cook. It had been an eventful few days since they'd left Uncasville. Mohegan had rocked and rolled, and not just musically. The boys had surprised her and Geena with Carly, who had now, it seemed, became their own personal nurse on tour. How Jon, Rich and Dave had swung that she'd never know, but she was pretty sure it had a lot to do with Carly's burgeoning love of that crazy pianist.
  
    True Carly had to go home and work out her notice, but she'd be joining them full time after the break and she was thankful for that. Being one of only two women in the inner circle was at times  hair pulling as all four men were, to a man, more over protective than they needed to be.
  
    Washington had been a wild city in more ways than one. Not only had Richie trotted out yet more stage clothing that was, she was sure, worn to drive her crazy, but also seemed to send all of his fans into tailspins. It had been fun to watch though, as they screamed for his solos. She was so proud of him.
  
    And then there was Geena. Poor G had spent the entire night corralling a rambunctious six year old in the form of Romeo Bongiovi, who was there along with his older sister to see Dad for his birthday. [i]Must remember to call G and see how their Easter went.[/i]
  
    And then there was Rich, and the first meet with Ava, who was a total doll. She was here with them for the week along with Richie's mother Joan, who just like Richie promised, had adored her.
  
    Shaking the thoughts from her head she pulled the eggs from the burner and stepped to the kitchen doorway. Fuckin' kitchen was the size of a small house and had every gadget known to man residing somewhere on the gleaming counters or in the cabinets.
  
    She grinned to herself as she remembered the housekeeper's look when she'd sent her on her way with a week's vacation off. She wanted this time to be quiet family time with no staff around. Glacing at the stairs she sing songed loudly, "WAKE UP SAMBORAS!"

     After calling out she returned to the counter, shaking her head at the full garbage can. "Time for the man to work," huffed from her lips as she straightened.

     Richie opened his eyes , taking a moment to focus , his eyes gazed at the familar surroundings and with a smile he threw the covers off . It was sure good to be home for even if it was just a week. He climbed out of bed  and after sliding on his jeans  he made his way downstairs . He chuckled as he remember Bri's reaction when she had first walked in the door .
  
    "Damn I missed Sonja's cooking, " he muttered as he made his way to the kitchen and stopped. Instead of seeing Sonja his cook/housekeeper it was Bri. " Heya darlin what are you doing? We have Sonja to do that. Where is she anyway? " Richie looked around. "She should be here by now. "

     She grinned as she turned, her hand dipping to pull the bag from the trash can. "Sonja has a week off with her family.  We needed alone time, just you me and our people." She tilted her head and winked, "time for you to remember what it's like to be a regular guy love, starting with trash duty."

     Richie's eyebrow winged upward. Did she just say I needed to take the trash out? His hand waved at the various pots and plates scattered from stove to table. " Darlin' we got people for that. You should be resting not doing all this. "

     She frowned slightly, her hands moving to her hips. "Are you telling me you're too good to take your own trash out?"

     "Um well no. I was just saying.. " Richie stuttered a bit,  "I can take out the trash, I  just didn't see why?"

     She glanced over at his mom as she entered the kitchen. "Because you married someone who ain't a princess, who likes to cook for HER family and have time with THEM alone?" She turned back to the stove with a mutter, "If you're too good for that you can just call Sonja back in, and when you do have her make up the spare room for me ok?"
  
    She bit her lip to keep from laughing as she heard Joan's soft chuckle behind Richie. "Told you didn't she son?" Stepping around Richie to his new wife, one she already knew would keep him on his toes, she whispered as she poured herself a cup of coffee, "don't you ever change girl, this is what he needs."

     Richie groaned then gave his mom a kiss on the cheek. " Yes I knew you would love her for that very reason." He reached for the bag of garbage. "Can I have my coffee then when I get back ? "

     She nodded to the big cup on the counter that she'd already fixed just the way he liked it. "You can drink it as you go for the paper." She turned and gave him a big smile. "So gonna call Sonja?"

     "The paper too? " Richie let out an exsparated breath.  "No I'm not calling Sonja, " he continued out to the front door  garbage in hand. "Wonder if Jon is experiencing this too, " he muttered. "Damn me and my want a real girl. " He stopped a moment and grinned. Wouldn't have any other way, she makes me feel real again. 
  
  

     She glanced over at Joan as the mutters floated back in, "too many years with the easy life. Wait til he finds out he's making the beds as well."

     Joan snickered. "Where did you come from, the heavens? I have been praying that he would find a girl like you. I could barely get Ava to sleep last night. She couldn't stop talking about you."

     She lifted her cup of coffee for a sip before plating the food. "I came from a little no name town Joan. I know he's worked hard for all he has, and he deserves to enjoy his creature comforts. But it dont hurt to have a little reality check once in awhile."
  
    She settled the plates on the table and blew a kiss to Ava as she walked in. At the young girl's quizzical look at the daddyless room she smiled. "He's taking out the garbage honey."
  
    "DADDY?" Ava squeaked.
  
    She nodded, "Yep."

     "You got my daddy taking out the trash? Oh wait til mom hears about this. " Ava grinned. " I gotta see this and get a picture too." She grabbed her cell phone and quickly took off after her dad. "Daddy look this way! " Just as he turned she snapped the picture and ran back in .

     "Great. Love you too baby, " He chuckled before tossing the garbage in the trash can and then retrieved the paper before walking back inside back to the kitchen.

     She stood and took his plate from the warmer, settling it in front of him . Pressing a kiss to his cheek she returned to her seat. "Now you can eat and hide behind the paper before making the beds. Unless you'd rather mop or clean the bathroom."
  
  

     Richie glanced over at his mom then his daughter who were both trying not to laugh. "I think I rather make the beds, " he grumbled as he took a bite of bacon then opened the paper to the sports section.

     She took a bite of her food then winked. "That does include stripping said beds baby. No just pulling up the covers and swiping the wrinkles off."
  

     "I know what that means I'm not a total idiot," he replied not looking up from the paper.

     "Now son you speak nicely to your wife. Its about time you did some work again, " Joan chided.

     She heard the growl in his voice and started to laugh. He hated doing housework she knew that, she also knew he wanted his housekeeper back so he could just relax, but deep in her soul she knew he needed this little bit of normal more. The growl though, it unsettled her, it wasn't that sexy little growl he usually did.
  
    Just that quickly she felt her mood wanting to shift. "I don't recall saying you were an idiot. If its gonna make you be a bear with your FAMILY," she enunciated the words carefully, "then you just sit here with your paper."
  
    She stood and started for the hallway, "I ain't afraid of beds. I'll do them, they don't bite ya know."

     Richie sighed. Those damn those mood swings would turn him gray he knew. He glanced at his mother who shot him a disapproving look. "No I'll get them . You rest and I'll get the dishes too. "

     She stopped and turned, watching him quietly, not wanting to cry or start an argument in front of Ava. She shook her head as she stepped back to the table. Sitting back down she started to eat, without saying a word.

     "Ava darling why don't you go find my purse and you and I will go shopping, " Joan suggested.
  
    Ava knew that was a polite way of Grandma saying she  needed to have a talk with Dad. "Sure Gram be right back. " Ava dashed off out of the kitchen and upstairs .

     As the meal finished, Joan stood and started clearing the table, smiling as Ava ran off to do as she asked. "Sometimes Son I think you have to be stubbornly stupid." At his look she laughed, "Not an idiot by any means, but stupid to what a woman thinks yes. Now go, make it right with that nice wife you acquired."

     "I said I would do it Ma. Its her moods, they are crazy. I never know what to do or say, " Richie tried to explain.

     "That's not the problem son and you know it. It's not you knowing what to do, its YOU trying to treat her like the women you've been far too used too for the last twenty years. She's not like those girls. Best you learn it now or I think you might be seeing more of the couch than the bed."

     "I just never thought she would want to come back and just -- I don't know, clean house. I thought she would want to be pampered . After the life she has had she deserves it."

     She moved back to the table and sat down beside her son, her hand going out to grasp his, "If someone came in and told you to take it easy because you've worked hard all of your life what would you say son?"

     "I guess I'd say hell no," Richie admitted. " I guess I was wrong - I didn't think what things would be like back home. I mean we did just meet and bam no waiting around to discuss anything ."  He glanced up to see her quizzical and worried look. "Damn, not exactly what I meant Ma. It might have happened fast, but it was the best thing that could have happened to me, I just didn't  think about the little things right then."

     She patted his hand and stood as Ava reentered the room. "You did good son. You may not have thought it through, but I've been praying for a lot of years for this. She's just what you need." She winked at Ava as they started from the room.

     Ava walked over to her dad and hugged him. " I really like her daddy, she is good for you . I'm happy you're happ.y " She smiled and kissed his cheek. "Ready to go Gram? "

     She winked at Rich as they strolled to the door laughing. "I say we go get that pretty new Sambora a gift. After all shes gotta put up with our Richie right Ava?"

     "I think so too Gram.  Can we get something for the baby too? " Ava piped up, "After all it is going to be my baby brother or sister!"

     "Yes indeed, and the baby too."  She hugged her granddaughter close then opened the door. "Excited about that one are we?"

     "I am. I don't care if its a boy either I just never thought I would be a big sister, " Ava smiled as she climbed into the ca.r

     Joan glanced back towards the house as they pulled from the drive.No one thought we'd be that blessed, now if that son of mine can just not screw it up.

1 comment:

  1. And here I thought Richie had grown up! Better fix it fast Richie otherwise your mom will be right and you and that couch will become the best of friends lol.

    ReplyDelete